Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sal, Kris & Charlie's, Astoria, NY, USA

Official
Sultan of Sandwich
I've just finished 'The Bomb' from Sal, Kris & Charlie's in Astoria. I started eating it around 1:30 PM and it is now almost 5 pm. I ate about 3/4 of the sandwich and had to go lie down. Only after I was able to get some rest was I able to finish it. I also drank a bottle of 7Up and a can of Coke while eating this meat, bread, and cheese massive attack. There's nothing fancy about it. It is a straightforward, good quality, blue-collar sandwich. It is about a big around as as a rolled up Saturday NY Times and about as long as the distance between your elbow and your wrist.

The Bomb has the following in it: ham, salami, pepperoni, mortadella, turkey, provolone, American cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet peppers, onion, mustard, mayo, and dressing. It is easy to lose track of just what is in it. Each element comes together to make a very distinctive whole: the mark of a great sandwich. Disclaimer: I'm a patriot but not a fan of American cheese, so I actually picked it out. Next time I'll just ask to substitute more provolone for the American, but you can bet I'd never share with these guys that I think American cheese is for children.

It is also the anti-Bierkraft as there is nothing artisanal or precious about these sandwiches. If you asked for arugula at Sal, Kris, & Charlie's they'd look at you like you just asked for Aspercreme on your sandwich.

In closing, I am pleased to announce that this sandwich is only $7, which is the deal of the century. Anyone charging $9.50 for a rinkydink sandwich ought to be ashamed of themselves when these guys are offering one the city's best and biggest sandwiches at this price.

No comments:

Post a Comment