Monday, March 22, 2010

Bierkraft, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Official
Sultan of Sandwich
When I lived in Brooklyn years ago, I went to Bierkraft on a semi-regular basis, mostly for imported beer from Thailand or Belgium. At that time they also sold cheese and tap beer.

Since those halcyon days a major transformation has taken place here: first, the introduction of sandwiches and second, clearing out half the store to make way for beer hall-type seating. Who can deny the wisdom of this move?

Like the name, they have applied the kraft to sandwich making. The turkey, roast beef, and pastrami here are apparently 'house made', which blows my mind. I had an Italian beef sandwich with mozzarella, green peppers, caramelized onions, and hot peppers. The beef was pretty good, almost like a cheesteak but with a little more flavor. The bread was a chewy baguette; the kind of bread that you really got to work at. I was wary of the green peppers but they turned out quite tasty. And the hot peppers really were hot, which is always welcome.

It was the mozzarella here that made this sandwich stand out, similar to Leo's Latticini aka Mama's of Corona. Absolutely fantastic. The quality of the ingredients is outstanding at Bierkraft, and the price has stayed somewhat reasonable. 'wichcraft could learn a lot from Bierkraft.

I like the long tables which encourage people to eat together, however, the group of people sitting next to us were playing some stupid game -- something having to do with noisily rolling twenty dice inside a frisbee. Luckily, my brother and I were splitting a jug of beer so my tolerance was high and my heart went out to them for being so easily entertained.

All in all, the sandwiches are good here and are quite unique with the DIY element applied to them. In fact, I am going to start a new project dubbed 'Old Scratch' where I'm going to make an entire sandwich from scratch. I'll bake the bread, cure the meat, and make the cheese. Stay tuned for details and thanks Biefkraft for the inspiration.

NOTE: The sandwiches here are $10 which breaks the 2nd Commandment, but since the sandwich comes with a bag of chips, No Harm, No Foul.

http://bierkraft.com/sandwichmenu.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment