Saturday, March 6, 2010

Leo's Latticini / Mama's

Official
Sultan of Sandwich
I broke out the Iron Horse that I got from my brother-in-law a few years back and took a ride down to Corona to visit Leo's Latticini aka Mama's of Corona, which has been on the radar for quite some time. Whatever you wish to call it, don't let the precious, grandmotherly, Holly Hobby-like interior fool you, these sandwiches will rock you like a hurricane. When I went in there were a couple of cops in line in front of me. Bottom line: if the cops and firemen eat there, you know the sandwiches are good. They're like sandwich bloodhounds. I've noticed this at City Sub in Brooklyn as well.

First and foremost, I really like the paper that these sandwiches were wrapped in. You could just tell that the contents within were special.

I got two: the Classic Italian and the Roasted Turkey. The former had prosciutto, sopresatta, cappicola and mozzarella plus roasted red peppers, mushrooms and the 'sauce'. The latter had roasted turkey (surprise!), mozzarella, and brown gravy. A wise man once said, "If you wish to call yourself a cheesemaker, you had better make good cheese. " This mozzarella gave me the chills it was so good.

The 'sauce' for the Classic Italian is a oil/vinegar concoction and I was pleased to see how it was ladled on by the lady behind the counter. Speaking of, the meat slicer is right before your eyes, where it should be. I find Italian sandwiches in general difficult to finish because the prosciutto starts to weigh heavy, and this is no exception here. All in all, if I am going to eat another italian sandwich, I'm going to Leo's (or Mama's or Jojo's) first. Next time I'll check and see if they have any hot peppers, which really rounds out any good Italian sandwich.

The roast turkey was fantastic, and so was that gravy. Why not put gravy on just about anything? And that mozzarella again makes the sandwich super-electric. Turkey and mozzarella. While we may ask 'Why?', they are asking 'Why Not?'.

Bread-talkin' time: this bread is great. The bread for the turkey sandwich seemed a little different, a little softer, and a little more to my liking. The classic italian bread appeared to be more sesame seed laden and a bit tougher. Still, it was great.

It is at this point that I'm realizing that I didn't get the Mama's Special and I hear they got a hot pork sandwich on Thursdays.

Leo's Latticini / Mama's of Corona is an Official Sultan of Sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment